Total Pageviews

Blog Summary

An amateur science and microscopy blog mainly about cyanobacteria. I don't understand why cyanobacteria keep dominating my fish-tank. But, seeing as it doesn't seem to affect the fish, I have decided to take a relaxed approach and to try and collect some data. I have also identified the various genera of cyanobacteria that grow in the aquarium.

Thursday 1 November 2012

Chapter VIII-Appendix I. Cyanobacteria identification 2

Here are the photos of the cyano from the unheated goldfish tank mentioned in Chapter VIII.
Filamentous, un-branched

Un-tapered, no heterocysts, no visible sheath, not spiral, Oscillatoria
I got worms

I got ?
I think it's the same genus as the cyano in the tropical tank, but it might not be the same species. It does make the point that you can't avoid having cyano in your tank. The question is: what are the factors that control how much? In the case of my tropical tank it doesn't seem to be nitrate, phosphate, circulation, direct sunlight or DOCs. I would be very interested to know why cyano doesn't dominate in my unheated tank.

No comments: