Total Pageviews

Blog Summary

An amateur science and microscopy blog mainly about cyanobacteria. I don't understand why cyanobacteria keep dominating my fish-tank. But, seeing as it doesn't seem to affect the fish, I have decided to take a relaxed approach and to try and collect some data. I have also identified the various genera of cyanobacteria that grow in the aquarium.

Friday 5 October 2012

Introduction

If you have been searching for solutions to cyanobacteria problems in your aquarium then this blog is for you.  I have been trying to get rid of it for two years, and I finally think I might be getting somewhere, but I've had false dawns before so I'm not celebrating yet.
If you search the internet with "blue green algae problem" or "control cyanobacteria freshwater aquarium" you will find 100s of posts on tropical fish forums where hacked off aquarists ask for help to cure their blighted tanks. I honestly think I've read all of them. I think there is some sound advice given to people with cyano problems, but there are also some dubious suggestions. Sometimes these suggestions are apparently based on science. But I think the science is being misrepresented, which upsets me, so I want to give my view on that. I've also noticed some manufacturers making cyano related claims about products which are in my view unjustified. I've tried some of the methods of treating cyanobacteria that I've found by searching the internet and I'm going to take you through them in the form of a retrospective blog. You can then decide if it's worth giving them a try in your tank. This is my direct experience and should be accurate as I have written everything I've ever done to my aquarium down

No comments: